POPZILLA!

Google

Thursday, July 20, 2006

BAND OF THE WEEK: The Kooks.


I discovered these boys while watching MTV with my teenage cousins in England and since I can never be addicted to enough "the" bands, I took to them immediately. Combining the youthful exuberance of PHANTOM PLANET and the edge of FRANZ FERDINAND, THE KOOKS seem like they're going to be the next import. Their songs are refreshingly bereft of angst, even with titles like, "You Don't Love Me." For the most part, they're just songs about being in love, from the rawchily flirtatious "Sofa Song" to the wistful "She Moves in Her Own Way" to the deliciously confrontational "Jackie Big Tits." They occasionally verge on pop sugariness like some of their countrymen (I'm looking at you, McFLY) but nonetheless The Kooks might just make you want to start a dance party in your Mini Cooper. Or, you know, wherever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home